In the province of Turin, scattered along the rivers, in the plains and on the hills, there are 22 castles and historic houses that can be visited. As many as 6 of these are located in Canavese. The massive presence of castles is due to the ancient need to control the important road routes that join in the plain of Ivrea: the route of France through the valle d'Aosta crossing points, the road to Turin and the road to Milan. Many castles were later transformed into mansions by the Savoy.
Castle ducale of Agliè
Built in the 12th century by the Canavesani Marquises San Martino, the castle of Agliè saw the passage of dukes, princes and kings, thus boasting an ancient and noble past, witnessed by the variety of installations that still characterize apartments and gardens.
It consists of over 300 rooms and is surrounded by a magnificent English and Italian garden and a park with centuries-old trees, statue fountains and large greenhouses.
Castle of Castellamonte
An ancient building of medieval origin, it is located on a promontory overlooking not only the city of Castellamonte but the entire Canavese.
The complex is now composed of the "white palace", which has a seventeenth-century structure and is attributed to Amedeo di Castellamonte - architect of the Savoy author of the Palace of Venaria - and the "Red Tower", built by the Counts of San Martino in the mid-nineteenth century. it is in neo-Gothic style and decorated with the red earth typical of Castellamonte.
The Castle, overlooking the wide plain of Canavese and immersed in an immense romantic park, stands on a hill in front of the long moraine barrier of the Serra di Ivrea. From the 11th century and for more than nine hundred years it was the main residence of the Counts Valperga di Masino. it consists of numerous monumental rooms, such as the frescoed and richly furnished halls, the ambassador rooms, the secluded living rooms and the apartments of Madama Reale. an immense park where a maze of hedges surrounds it.
Castle of Parella
The castle, a large four-winged building, was conceived in full Renaissance climate and with frescoes from the late 1600s. The interiors are decorated with precious frescoes and fake architecture. The Hall of Jupiter has a sumptuous ship hull vault and frescoes of historical-mythological theme and contains a gallery of illustrious men from the medieval era. The quadreria, on the other hand, has a vault decorated with six allegorical scenes that evoke various themes: love, justice, faith, strength, virtue and value.
Château of Torre Canavese
Of supposed ardonic origin, the castle is handed down to have been founded on an existing Romanesque tower by a son of Arduino in 998. The Castle keeps the tower, the walls surrounding the top of the hill and the chapel original
Malgrà Castle of Rivarolo
The castle was built between 1333 and 1336 by the feudal lord Count Martino di San Martino, undergoing several extensions in the following centuries becoming a stately home. Through the drawbridge you can access the interior, where you can admire the crenellated tower and, in the small door, frescoes dated 1440.
In the 1980s it was acquired by the Municipality that assigned it to the venue of exhibitions, concerts and cultural events.
Castelli e Dimore storiche is an initiative of Turismo Torino e Provincia.